- About Us
- About Association of Colleges
- AoC Governance
- AoC Regions
- AoC Charitable Trust
- AoC Sport
- Our Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Work
- Our Climate and Sustainability Work
- Our Work Across the Four Nations
- AoC National Chairs' Council
- Work for AoC
- About Colleges
- Corporate Services
- Data Protection/GDPR
Employment Services - college workforce
- Employment Services - college workforce
- Introduction & Employment Helpline
- Absence & Sickness Management
- Contracts and T&Cs
- Disciplinary, Capability & Grievance
- Employment Briefings Library
- Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
- General Employee Relations & HR Issues
- Industrial Relations
- ONS reclassification related guidance
- Pay & Pensions
- Redundancy, Restructuring & TUPE
- Workforce Benchmarking, Surveys & Research
- Get Involved!
- The 5Rs Approach to GCSE Maths Resits
- Apprenticeship Workforce Development (AWD) Programme
- Creating a Greener London – Sustainable Construction Skills
- Erasmus+ EXPECT Project
- Digital Roles Across Non-digital Industries
- T Level and T Level Foundation Year Provider Support Programme
- The Valuing Enrichment Project
- Higher and Extended Project Qualifications
- OfS - Higher Education Social Prescribing Project
- Pears Foundation Youth Social Action Programme: Phase 2
- Pears #Iwill Youth Social Action Apprenticeship Project
- T Level Professional Development (TLPD) Offer
- T Level Curriculum Macro-Sequencing
- Contact the Projects Team
- Sustainability & Climate Action Hub
- Honours Nomination
- Recruitment & Consultancy
- Events & Training
- Funding & Finance
- Meet the Policy Team
- Policy Areas
- Policy Briefings
- Policy Papers & Reports
- AoC Strategy Groups
AoC Reference Groups
- AoC Reference Groups
- Adults (inc. ESOL) Reference Group
- Apprenticeship Reference Group
- Technology Reference Group
- HE Reference Group
- 14-16 Reference Group
- Mental Health Reference Group
- 16-18 Reference Group
- SEND Reference Group
- WorldSkills Reference Group
- HR Reference Group
- Sustainability & Climate Change Reference Group
- EDI Reference Group
- Research Unit
News, Campaigns & Parliament
- News, Campaigns & Parliament
- Comms advice and resources for colleges
- Contact the Communications, Media, Marketing and Research Team
- AoC Newsroom
- AoC Blogs
- Work in Parliament
- AoC Campaigns
Love Our Colleges
- Love Our Colleges
- Colleges Week 2023
- Creative Writing in FE - Developing student voice through the written word
MiDES (Market Intelligence Data Exchange Service) is a sector benchmarking service that has been developed in partnership with RCU. As an AoC member you have full access to the MiDES service, free of charge. With virtually all AoC member colleges using MiDES the benchmark data is very accurate. AoC also uses the data to inform representation work with Government on your behalf. The service is fully compliant with GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018.
- In-year benchmarking information, allowing your college to see how it compares with other colleges regionally and nationally.
- Early identification of how local recruitment by level and subject area compares to recruitment across the FE sector and at similar institutions.
- Early performance data including benchmarks for GCSE maths and English and functional skills.
- Early detection of areas of low retention, allowing in-year correction measures to be put into place.
- Data on progression rates at your institution compared to national and regional benchmarks.
- Analysis of recruitment by deprivation band to help quantify the extent to which your college is meeting the needs of deprived areas.
- Detailed information on higher education recruitment compared to other colleges and higher education institutions.
- Improvements to the quality of self-assessment reports due to the ability to compare college in-year performance with the in-year performance of other institutions
- Early indication of the effectiveness of actions implemented by college leaders and teams
- The availability of data to support preparation for Ofsted inspections
- Savings of time as a result of MiDES outputs being in a form that can be readily used by curriculum and quality managers as well as SMT
- Savings of consultancy fees as a result of not needing to commission external organisations to carry out data and research projects where similar information can be readily obtained from MiDES data
You are able to access a series of reports via an easy-to-use interactive website. These free reports include:
- In-year retention
- Apprenticeship recruitment
- Deprivation analysis
- Progression analysis
- English and maths
- Higher education
- Curriculum analysis
Reports have also been developed for sixth form colleges, for example:
- All reports allow a user in a sixth form college to compare their results to various comparator groups, including sixth form colleges
- Separate reports on retention and curriculum have been developed to focus on A level provision.
How to get involved
Each AoC member college can have an unlimited number of registered users, if you need a new login, please email email@example.com with your college name and job role, a login will be set up for you on the same working day. The MiDES website can be accessed at mides.rcu.co.uk.
Virtually all college’s upload their ILR to the MiDES service. Uploading your college’s data is very simple. There is an upload screen where MI staff can select the relevant ILR data return from a drop-down list and upload it. It takes less than a minute with no additional work or preparation involved. ILR data upload windows for MiDES always follow the ESFA upload deadline. If you want to upload the previous year’s data, you can do this retrospectively too.
RCU supply an anonymiser to remove personal data from the ILR before uploading. Full details of our data security and data protection procedures are available on request.
If you would like to speak to someone about MiDES, please contact Chris Lee at RCU (firstname.lastname@example.org or 01772 734855). Webinar demonstrations can be arranged at your convenience to show you the full use of MiDES and other services.