This DfE-funded programme is aimed at developing the skills of both new and existing board members and, where appropriate, clerks/company secretaries in Further Education and Sixth Form Colleges. The Education and Training Foundation (ETF) has commissioned the Association of Colleges to develop this comprehensive training programme for college governors.
The GDP provides a structured yet flexible approach to learning and development for all board members as well as governance professionals/clerks. The programme can either be used as individuals begin their roles or for experienced members of governing bodies and governance professionals to develop to become more specialised in order to add substantial value to the organisations and students which they serve.
- online courses
- self-directed study resources
- face to face sessions
- coaching modules.
To explore the modules visit ETF's Foundation Online Learning (FOL). If you have not used FOL previously you will need to create an account.
The specific aims of the Governance Development Programme are to:
- ensure board members are equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to fulfil their responsibilities
- provide a comprehensive and structured approach to board member induction and their ongoing development
- ensure clerks/company secretaries are equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to provide high quality support for governance to their organisation
- develop the necessary skills and behaviours so that boards operate effectively, and board members can provide support and challenge to senior leaders and the wider organisation
- support board members to draw on their previous experience to add value to the wider board
- provide a diagnostic assessment, utilising a skills audit, for board members to build relevant learning plans.
In order to access this programme, your institution needs to purchase the programme. This will then give you an access key to allow you full access to the full range of modules. Live webinars will also take place throughout the year at an additional but modest fee.
Please note, the pilot version of the programme has now closed and the access key from the pilot phase is no longer valid.
To purchase the programme licence, please click here. The programme fee is £200+VAT per organisation and gives 12 months' access to all governance staff within that institution.