About AoC Sport
- About AoC Sport
- Who We Are
- AoC Sport Strategic Framework 2023-2028
- Commercial partners and Affiliates
- Our Members & Associates
- Join AoC Sport
- Leagues & Cups
- Open Golf Championships
- Regional Tournaments
- National Championships
- National Representative Teams
- Fitness Trainer Competition
- AoC Sport Points
- AoC Sport Athletics
- Get Involved
- Student Leadership Programme
- Active Environmental Sustainability in Colleges
- FE Youth Collective
- AoC Sport Introducing
- Football Development
- Virtual Challenges
- Support & Influence
- News & Insights
- Member Area
- Meetings & Networks
- Skills, Jobs and Local Economy Reports
- Insight & Data
- Project Reports & Case Studies
- Sport and Inspection Resource Hub
- Mental Health & Wellbeing Resources
- Teaching and Learning Resource Hub
- 2024 National Championships
AoC Sport Introduces Transgender Participation in Sport and Physical Activity Guidance for Further Education
12th July 2023
We are proud to announce the launch our comprehensive guidance on transgender participation in sport and physical activity. This landmark initiative aims to foster inclusivity, diversity, and fair competition within the Further Education sector.
In recent years, there has been a growing recognition of the importance of transgender individuals' rights and their access to sports. To address the specific needs and challenges faced by transgender students, AoC Sport has developed this pioneering guidance, which serves as a valuable resource for Further Education institutions across the nation.
The new guidance provides a framework that promotes the inclusion of transgender individuals while maintaining the principles of fair competition.
Key aspects of the guidance include:
- Inclusivity and Respect: Encouraging institutions to adopt an inclusive approach that respects individuals' gender identity and creates a welcoming environment for all students.
- Transgender Participation Policies: Assisting institutions in developing comprehensive policies that enable transgender students to participate in sports teams and activities in a fair and inclusive manner.
- Confidentiality and Privacy: Highlighting the importance of respecting the confidentiality and privacy of transgender individuals while ensuring their rights are protected.
- Education and Training: Promoting the provision of training and education to coaches, staff, and students, enabling them to understand transgender issues, challenge stereotypes, and foster a culture of respect and understanding.
- Review and Evaluation: Encouraging institutions to regularly review and evaluate their policies and practices to ensure they remain inclusive, responsive, and compliant with legal requirements.
We recognises the importance of providing guidance to Further Education institutions, empowering them to create safe, inclusive, and supportive environments for all students. By implementing this guidance, institutions can foster a culture of acceptance and equality, empowering transgender individuals to participate in sports and physical activities without fear of discrimination or exclusion.
We invite Further Education institutions, sports organisations, and stakeholders to familiarise themselves with the new guidance and actively implement the recommendations within their institutions. Together, we can build a more inclusive and equitable sporting landscape in the Further Education sector.