Environmental Sustainability - why this matters to us:
Extreme weather, air quality and wider climate change are increasingly likely to impact participation levels, and when & where activity takes place. The impact of climate change upon community-based sport will affect people’s capability and opportunities to be active and could exacerbate inequalities in participation.
Equally, the sport and physical activity sector has a significant environmental impact that reinforces these effects. From energy use by sports facilities; travel by participants and workforce; the production and consumption of sports equipment, goods, and services; to the creation of waste - we have considerable scope, opportunity, and obligation to create positive change.
This page will have articles, programmes and organisations listed that can help you understand more about climate change and ideas that you can implement at college.
BASIS | The British Association for Sustainable Sport – AoC Sport are members of BASIS who are the membership body of Sustainable sport, this means that all AoC Sport members are now associate members of BASIS and can get access to their webinars and reduce rates on events their deliver.
- Sustainable Sport For Climate Action | Green Planet Sport | Australia
- Protecting the Playing Field: A baseline on how sport can act for nature | Media Centre | Loughborough University (lboro.ac.uk)
- Sports for Climate Action | UNFCCC
- Becoming more environmentally sustainable (sportenglandclubmatters.com)
- Case Studies | Association of Colleges (aoc.co.uk)
- Environmental sustainability | UK Sport
- Sport Environment and Climate Coalition statement on climate change and environmental sustainability | UK Sport
- Reading FC | Home kit unveiled | Show Your Stripes and share our Hoops For the Future
- What is the Carbon Footprint of Sport? - The Carbon Literacy Project
- Climate Action in the Sport Sector - The Carbon Literacy Project
- Emergency on Planet Sport on Apple Podcasts
- Podcast | Sport Ecology Group
- Experts in Sport: Sustainability and climate change impacts on sport | News and events | Loughborough University (lboro.ac.uk)
- Podcast – Sustainability Report
- Tackling climate change - sustainable sport - YouTube
- Tackling climate change - sustainable facilities - YouTube
- Sustainability in Sport Podcast - YouTube
- This Revolutionary Shoe Recycling Program Unites Performance Sportswear And Sustainability - YouTube
- Do sports teams’ sustainability efforts matter to fans? - YouTube
- "2040 there's going to be more plastic in the sea than fish" ♻️ | Playing For The Planet - YouTube
- 🌳 “Forest bathing… any idea what that is?” 🤔 | Sky Sports Sustainability Series | Episode 2 - YouTube
- Sport Sustainability E-Learning - YouTube
- Cricket's Climate Crisis | Short Documentary - YouTube
- How golf is becoming a more sustainable sport ️⛳️ - YouTube
- Football Rebooted | Utilita Energy
- JOGON- REMOVING 1M RUNNING SHOES FROM LANDFILL (jogonagain.com)
- EAUC Home | EAUC
- Pledges – Pledgeball.
- Planet League
- Football Sustainability Charity | Football For Future
- Home | Sport Local For Life (sport-local.earth)
- Rob Hopkins – Imagination taking power
- The SDG Primer | UNSSC | United Nations System Staff College
- Climate Clubs