Climate Commission Updates
"As the end of the year draws near, the Climate Commission is busy holding events and developing outputs to coordinate climate action and support the sector through unprecedented challenges. Below are updates on the Climate Commission's activities, reports and how to get involved in the Commission's work.
- Virtual Event - Climate Commission: One Year On, November 5th 10:00-12:00 Click here to register
On November 5th, the Climate Commission will present its findings and work one year since its launch and one year until COP26 in Glasgow. The event will feature speakers, including Rt. Hon. Lord Deben (chair of the Committee on Climate Change), a student panel and smaller discussions in breakout rooms.
- Climate Commission Launches Report for UNESCO's Futures of Education initiative Click here to download the report
In July, student Commissioners held 4 discussion groups with 38 university and college students. The groups discussed the future of education amid the climate crisis, including its broad purposes and how it can be reformed to better prepare students and learners for a changing world. The Climate Commission has now developed a report summarising the discussions. The report has been sent to UNESCO to feed into their upcoming work on global education policy. It is a useful resource to support curriculum change at your institution.
- Climate Commission: Findings to Date Click here to download the report
The Climate Commission has released a document communicating some of its findings to date. The document features updates on its engagement and findings from its 5 priorities alongside considerations from government policy and COVID-19.
- Climate Commission Podcast: Climate Chats with Students Click here to listen to episodes of the podcast Students interested in and involved in the Commission study a range of disciplines and are from varying backgrounds. The Climate Commission has launched Climate Chats with Students to honour these students who are working to drive climate action and share their stories with the sector. Interested in speaking on the show? Please email Fiona Goodwin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student Climate Commissioner Marta Crispo has been featured in a blog by the Grantham Centre for Sustainable Futures for her work with the Climate Commission. Read the piece here. Thank you Marta for all your hard work!
- The Commission hosted an online event, "Climate Commission: Discussion with Further and Higher Education Governors and Chairs." The event saw over 35 attendees discuss climate action at the board level. Read more about the event here and watch the event recording here.
- The Climate Commission, in partnership with Nous Group, launched the Climate Action Roadmap for FE Colleges. The Roadmap provides clear, feasible actions colleges can take to advance sustainability. This piece of work will act as one of the Commission's key outputs. Click here for more information and to download the Roadmap. The Commission will host a series of short webinars to support college principals, operational staff and students in utilising the Roadmap. We will shortly be posting dates and registration details on our website.
- The Climate Commission hosted an online event, "Climate Commission: Student-Led Discussion with the FE Sector" to ensure its work is relevant and beneficial to the sector. Watch the recording here. "