The Association of Colleges has launched its manifesto for the 2017 General Election. This manifesto outlines the recommendations for the next Government which, if implemented, will increase the opportunities for young people, boost life chances for adults and allow the country to prosper.
The manifesto has two themes: sustaining economic growth and a fair and effective system, each with three recommendations:
Sustaining economic growth
1. A skills strategy with increased investment – for every part of the country
2. A period of stability to build quality apprenticeships
3. A fair funding formula for schools and colleges
A fair and effective education system
4. Building strong colleges and institutions
5. Personal learning accounts to boost adult skills
6. Support for people to access education and training
Our message to the next Government is simple:
- For the UK to succeed in a post-Brexit world, this country must be more self-sufficient in skills.
- Colleges are the only institutions who can make this a reality.
- We need to develop a new culture of lifelong learning, and make this the norm in all communities, for all people.
- To achieve this, we need to have the right investment, after too many years of starving colleges of the cash, support and policies which are needed.