The 209 general further education colleges in England provide high-quality technical and professional education and training for young people, adults and employers. They prepare students with valuable skills for the workplace, helping to develop their career opportunities and strengthen the local, regional and national economy.
Colleges are inspirational places to learn because education and training is delivered by expert teaching staff in industry-standard facilities. From basic skills to postgraduate degrees, colleges offer first rate academic and vocational teaching, in a range of professions including engineering, hospitality, IT, construction and the creative arts. They offer a range of qualifications and training including:
- A Levels
- Vocational qualifications
- Higher education
- Entry level training
- Colleges educate and train 2.7 million people
- The average college trains 1,200 apprentices
- 153,000 people study higher education in a college
- 1.9 million adults study or train in college
Find out more key facts about colleges.