The 2016/2017 National Leaders of Governance programme is now closed for new applications. Please register interest in future support on the ETF website. If you have any queries or would like to discuss the programme, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Leaders of Further Education Governance (NLG) are individuals who have been recruited by AoC to support college and other provider boards in fulfilling their responsibilities. NLGs are either highly effective serving chairs of governors or serving governors with relevant experience of chairing in other sectors. NLGs work with individual colleges and lead or contribute to national or regional events.
The work of NLGs is funded by the Education and Training Foundation (ETF) and is available at no cost to providers. Further education and specialist designated colleges, adult training providers and independent training providers can engage an NLG.
Colleges that have accessed support in the past are eligible to apply again.
Over 170 colleges have benefited from over 350 days of support since the programme began and the evaluation evidence has been very positive with 100% of colleges saying they would use an NLG again.
An NLG can work to improve provider performance, support the chair and clerk and/or improve board effectiveness with support in the following areas:
- Area review preparation to understand priorities and outcomes sought
- Advising clerks on area review & merger process
- Facilitating board discussions in advance of merger/collaboration
- Advising on creation of shadow board & identifying skills needs
- Advising board on recruitment process for new chair or CEO
- Advising board on new structures including wider education sector (including HE, MAT)
- Support and coaching for new chairs/clerks & chairs/clerks of merged institutions
- Advising on strategic response to apprenticeships, skills plan & skills devolution
- Helping board to ensure continuous improvement in quality of teaching & learning
- Supporting board to refresh strategy, mission & vision
- Preparing board for inspection under new Common Inspection Framework
- Advising board on succession planning and recruitment of governors
- Supporting board to ensure they have appropriate skills, experience, characteristics & diversity
- Supporting board across the range of issues identified in the Code of Good Governance
National Leaders of FE Governance are a resource available to all FE providers however the funding that is available from the Foundation is limited and so we are particularly interested in hearing from providers that have:
- Not previously accessed an NLG
- Recently been inspected and received a lower Ofsted grading for ‘overall effectiveness’ or ‘leadership, management and governance'
- Identified in their self-assessment report areas for improvement in Governance
- Experienced a change of leadership (chair or principal)
- There is a change of circumstances or provision in their area/region
- Any other significant factor is present
The length of the assignment and allocation of an NLG will be determined by AoC based on an evaluation of the completed application, taking into account the above criteria.
Colleges can engage NLGs through AoC for additional consultancy days, for which a daily fee will be payable.
Please call us on 020 7034 9900 or email email@example.com to discuss any queries related to the 2016/2017 programme.