Mental Health Awareness
Many people are unsure how to respond to someone who appears to be experiencing a mental health problem. This Mental Health Awareness workshop is an essential course for anyone working within the FE sector who wants to make a positive difference to their students or fellow-colleagues who may be experiencing mental health issues.
This workshop aims to increase the mental health literacy within the FE sector including reducing stigmatisation of the illness as well as to equip people with the simple but effective first aid skills to be able to see mental illness like any other illness. This one-day course gives people the knowledge and confidence to recognise mental health problems, to respond helpfully and assist the person’s recovery. This workshop is aimed at supporting those who may come into contact with someone experiencing a mental health crisis and is not sure how to respond.
This highly practical and participative course will provide you with knowledge, skills and confidence to recognise the early warning signs of mental ill health, provide emotional support and practical help on a first aid basis and effectively signpost someone to the right support services.
Objectives of the day
- Have the opportunity to discuss, explore and challenge the stigma and taboo surrounding mental ill health and in doing so open up a frank discussion about mental well-being
- Understand individual differences in the continuum of mental health and mental ill health
- Know the organisational and personal risk factors contributing to mental ill health
- Be able to spot the signs and symptoms of mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, eating disorders, personality disorder, psychosis, OCD, self-harm, etc
- Feel more confident in applying the practical first aid skills (5 Steps) required to support someone through a mental health crisis
- Be able to demonstrate the non-judgemental communication skills to support someone with mental ill health
- Know how to guide someone towards the right support
Benefits of attending
- The course will help delegates recognise the signs and symptoms of mental health issues
- Delegates will develop practical skills that can be used every day
- Delegates will have a deeper understanding of complex issues relating to mental health and mental ill health
- Delegates will be able to help people with mental health issues access the most appropriate support
- The course supports the well-being agenda