When completing the first stage application (max 1,000 words) please note that the assessors will be scoring on innovation, impact and sustainability. Inclusion of information to address the AoC Beacon Criteria will greatly enhance the likelihood of success.
Colleges that exceed the AoC Beacon Standard will be invited to submit a full project brief for the second stage (building on the content in the first stage application), that will provide comprehensive additional evidence such as: responsiveness to employers needs, high levels of learner success and progression, innovative changes to the curriculum and very positive feedback from employers.
Colleges wishing to apply for this award could consider some or all of the following:
- A whole college approach to meeting the training, development and recruitment needs of many employers including apprenticeships, reflected in the college’s development plan and investment in employment related training;
- Responsiveness to a range of key economic and training priorities identified by local enterprise partnerships or other strategic and systematic analysis of local or regional skills needs;
- Systematic networking and collaboration with other organisations to provide a comprehensive response to meeting the training needs of employees, those seeking employment and learners themselves;
- Effective management of quality to achieve outstanding achievement rates, levels of progression to sustained employment;
- A successful record of leaders, managers and governors enabling teachers, trainers and support staff to deliver sustained levels of high quality employer engagement, demonstrated by positive feedback from employers (including impact on their employees), and improvements in the curriculum;
- Well managed investment in training and development of college staff, and the provision of up-to-date facilities and equipment to industry standards;
- Development and implementation of flexible teaching, learning and assessment methods that overcome barriers to accessing learning, and respond to the needs of employers and learners.