The Student of the Year Awards highlight exceptional achievement and celebrates successes.
This year we have three categories:
- Young Student of the Year (16 to 18-years-old)
- Adult Student of the Year (19-years-old and over)
- Apprentice of the Year (not age restricted)
The closing date is Wednesday 5 July.
What we are looking for
We are looking for exceptional students who stand out from the crowd.
The awards are open to any college student, and is not limited by age, level or course.
The student must be currently enrolled on a course of study or have graduated/ moved on from the college in the past calendar year.
Young Student of the Year
This category is open to anyone aged 16 to 18-years-old by 31 August 2017. There is no restriction on the course type or level they are completing.
Adult Student of the Year
This category is open to anyone aged 19-years-old and over as at 31 August 2017. There is no upper age limit, course type of level.
This category is open to anyone completing/completed an apprenticeship. There is no restriction on age, type or level of apprenticeship.
Please note: only one entry per category per college
Eligibility and Criteria
When writing your submission, think about the following:
- How does this student stand out from their peers?
- How have they gone above and beyond what is expected, and set themselves apart from the crowd?
- What evidence can you show that this student is truly excellent?
Their achievement does not need to relate to receiving high marks in their assessment.
The panel will include the following criteria in their assessment:
- Personal achievement, rather than merely completing their qualification. This could include success at a national level, for example in sport, or overcoming hardship, disability or other personal adversity.
- Contribution to the college and/or wider community
- Inspirational nature of academic, vocational or extra-curricular achievement
Please ensure your entry reflects the criteria above.
The prizes to be won for each category are as follows:
- Winner - £500
- Second place - £250
- Third place - £100
The closing date for submissions is Wednesday 5 July. The finalists will be selected in early autumn. All entrants will be notified whether they have been shortlisted as soon as possible after judging. A panel of judges will select three finalists for each category who will be invited to attend the part of AoC’s Conference and Exhibition 2017, where the winners will be announced. A number of highly commended students will also be selected.
NB: Student of the Year applications are only open to AoC member colleges.